Camera Support for Pi

I’m running 0.6(1) on my Raspberry Pi B+. I have a Pi camera. Are you planning on supporting it or do you have other recommendations for cameras?

We have tried to support the pi camera in the past but have been unable. We use the V4L2 system for camera and so far have been unsuccessful at getting the pi cam to work.

We do support USB cameras though.

Any particular USB camera that you recommend?

Actually, I was trying PrintToPeer before I landed here. Their pi image handled the pi camera just fine (they couldn’t handle MB & sailfish at all though). Maybe you could check their image out and reverse engineer something…

I have no doubt that we can make it work at some point. It’s a matter of priorities with everything else going on. We’ll get it workibg

We use one of the Logitect Cxxx cameras. Don’t remember which one right but have also been successful with cheaper USB cameras. Basically any USB camera that claims Linux support should work.

I have the model b (original) with the camera and i’ve got it working. It’s not a live stream but it takes time lapse photos.

There is another thread in the forums that has some insight as to how to get it up and running.
[Raspberry Pic Camera Support]

what you’re looking to do is ssh into your pi and run the following commands:

sudo raspi-config

Use the interface to enable the camera. You may need to reboot at this point i can’t remeber.

then

sudo modprobe bcm2835-v4l2

finally,

sudo /etc/init.d/astrobox restart

This restarts the astrobox service and applies the changes.

Every time you restart your pi you’ll have to run the modprope and astrobox restart commands. I don’t know how to auto run these at start-up.

Good luck

Great. They might have fixed the driver. If this works, we’ll add it as default in the next release. Last time I tried this the camera only took black pictures.

any suggestions on how to run this driver at start-up?

you can add bcm2835-v4l2 to /etc/modules

Hey Daniel - just got a Logitech C525. Is there something special you have to do to get it to stream? Or does it just do a static view that only updates when you click the camera button?

You can do video streaming just yet but you can set you camera to create timelapse pictures when printing. every x minutes or on layer change.

Are you planning on streaming eventually?

Yes. We will use WebRTC for live streaming but I don’t yet have a schedule for that feature.

@the_ross_ Thanks for the “tutorial” on how to enable the RPI cam, this works great for me!

BTW, 0.7(0) should load this driver automatically. Let me know if it doesn’t. I would need to flashed with that version, not just upgraded over-the-air.

@Daniel I just reflashed my SD with the 0.7.0 available from your downloads. The module was not loaded automatically, I had to load it through raspi-config before the camera worked.
Here’s my lsmod

Module                  Size  Used by
videobuf2_vmalloc       3360  0 
videobuf2_memops        2361  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
videobuf2_core         41981  0 
v4l2_common             8285  1 videobuf2_core
videodev              154352  2 v4l2_common,videobuf2_core
media                  16088  1 videodev
snd_bcm2835            21342  0 
snd_pcm                93100  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_seq                61097  0 
snd_seq_device          7209  1 snd_seq
snd_timer              23007  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    67211  5 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device
cdc_acm                19300  3 
uio_pdrv_genirq         3666  0 
uio                     9897  1 uio_pdrv_genirq

@Florian_Harr That’s correct, the raspicam still needs to be activated using raspi-config.

We don’t want to assume that you have one. Note that activating the camera, redirects some memory and resources to the camera controller.

The v4l2 driver for raspicam will now load automatically IF raspicam is activated using raspi-config. This only needs to be done once though.