Keeps dropping connection

I am pretty sure when the astrobox connects to the printer the first time the printer will reset.
As I recall this happens when I connect from my computer using Repeiter Host too.

Using Repetier firmware this has always been the case for me…it is how I know the system is ready…:slight_smile:
Since I seldom use the printer’s on board controls it I had not considered why or how this happens.
(I do sometimes preheat my bed from the printer directly but then a quick reset doesn’t allow the bed to cool much, before I am ready to go and by the time the extruder is hot the bed it back to temp)

My suggestion is to enable an watch the serial log…I use “tail -f” command.

Tricky part is that due to buffering you have to figure out what commands are returning what information
as they do it out of sync.

This buffering I think also accounts for the delay in canceling…I have found that usually it cancels on the first click but it takes awhile…clicking more…not sure it helps but it takes up some time as the buffer depletes.
Maybe watch the buffer count on your printer if you can and see if it starts to go down after the first click…remember some buffered commands can take seconds to complete on the printer.

Upon re-reading I guess you are cancelling the not from astrobox but from the printer hardware interface…I don’t know how to do that on my machine but maybe the same onboard buffer needs to empty or the current code needs to complete before it reports back to the control box that the printer is no longer printing?

Thanks Darren - I will take a look at what you’ve said and see if I can do that. I’ve also seen that there’s a new version out on the 28th of Feb which the release notes seem to relate possibly to these issues, so I’ll try that first. Cheers

Hi Darren,

What printer do you have? Will this end code work on Rockstock Max v2?

I just found that it was the cura slicer that was causing the disconnects, using slicr3 it does not disconnect and actually prints. I am using a Rostock Max v2

Terry,

I have a home-made Delta printer…pretty similar to the Rostock Max…
I am using the new release of Repetier as well…

Interesting that slic3r works differently…actually this might indicate that
my solution is at least in part correct as I have noticed in the past that slic3r and cura use slightly different start and finish code.

They also use slight variants on the heating sequence and and where they place the start and finish code in the final g-code file.

I imagine my code would work on the Rostock Max but if you are getting good prints without the disconnects I would not bother. I would be curious if you could post the start and finish code you are using in astroprint…also of interest would be the first and last 10 or so lines of the g-code slic3r is generating…