AstroBox Touch with Official Pi 7" Screen

So, I thought it would be best to start a new thread in an attempt to get the ABT software (purchased license) working with the official Pi 7" screen.

I have loaded the image to a fresh card and placed the license files in the hidden .astrobox directory as per the provided instructions. However, the screen will not boot past the splash.png logo. The logo is displaying just fine so the screen itself is working correctly. I have updated and upgraded via SSH but all to no avail.

Any ideas what may be missing or need to be changed to get it working with this screen. Could it be as simple as adding some additional driver files to the required directory?

Out of interest, I have previously setup Astrobox Gateway on a Pi with the 7" screen and had it successfully loading the Chromium browser and auto-navigating to the WebUI of the Astrobox gateway IP address.

Thanks for any help.

Please contact me via ticket system so I can help try something. The Pi screen is not one we have tested or officially support. Perhaps you can help us verify it for us and then we can list it as supported.

https://astroprint.zendesk.com

Be delighted to :slight_smile:

Huge thanks to @Daniel for getting me up and running with the ABT software on my own hardware, including the official Raspberry Pi 7" screen :slight_smile:

![20180503_222020|690x388]

1 Like

Hi, can you share what is needed to make it works? I also have 7 inch HDMI screen and unfortunately it stack ok splash screen :confused: and somehow I cannot connect via ssh to check what’s going on…

License files. Likely is that the files you downloaded are corrupt as Daniel had some early issues having the files sent correctly. Raise a ticket and ask Daniel to send you new licence files.

Thanks! I already created a ticket for it.I hope that it will work with the new licence file.

I had a similar problem. I built the AstroBox Touch with a waveshare 3.5" screen and switched to the Raspberry Pi 7". I changed the .astrobox/astrobox-config.conf to SCREEN_SIZE=5. But I still got the splash screen. It seems it had already configured the Pi to only display to the waveshare.
I removed this file to set it to display through the 7" screen: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

After first book, only editing /boot/.astrobox/astrobox-config.conf won’t do anything. If you need to change the screen size after first boot. You should do this:

1. Edit /boot/.astrobox/astrobox-config.conf to set the screen size desired (valid values are 35 or 5. Use 5 for supported 7" screens, it works).

2. Boot the device

3. SSH into the device and run:

$ sudo /etc/astrobox/initial-scripts/10-configure-screen
$ sudo reboot

I also have 7 inch HDMI screen and unfortunately it stack ok splash screen I need some help

In my case it was a problem with astrobox touch license, I had to request for new license file.

Hi All - new to all of this - have followed this thread as I initially had a lock up at the start screen. Now, after changing the screen size in the astrobox-config.conf to 5 - I get the attached image.

I have the official RP 7" touchscreen.

astrobox-config.conf reads:

SCREEN_SIZE=5
SCREEN_DRIVER=hdmi
SCREEN_ROTATE=n

any ideas?

Nev.

Sorry, what is wrong with that image?

Looks as though it is not filling the full screen (black borders all around)

Ah sorry… didn’t noticed that.

@Nev_Bull, the SCREEN_SIZE is not correct, you need to enter:

SCREEN_SIZE=800x480

Look at Step 6 here: https://astroprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015968891-Step-3-Flashing-AstroBox-Touch-Software

I am having this issue where I see the splash screen then it goes to a black screen. I used the zip file and chrome recovery tool ( since it was recommended on the raspie website for a Chromebook option ) I do not know much about this stuff.How do I know if it is the license file and how would I request a new one ?

The problem is very likely that the astrobox-config.conf file was not the right one (hdmi for your screen). This article should help: https://astroprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031893492-Configure-a-different-touchscreen-on-an-existing-AstroBox-Touch

If not, please open a support ticket to continue

I have a 7inch HDMI Display-B . How do I get to work with astrobox touch?

Follow the instructions here and select the HDMI driver in step 5. We don’t however support the higher resolutions that usually the 7" screens have so the UI might not occupy the full screen.