Astrobox Update v0.8(3)-->v0.8(4) - not downloading

Trying to update to Astrobox 8.3–>8.4 and it’s just stuck on the downloading screen (for the last 45 minutes). Anyone else having the same issue?

Same here. Download page pops up and then nothing happens.

I have an Astrobox based on the Pi Zero, which I put together yesterday. I can connect to it, it controls the printer manually, but I yet have to successfully print a file from the website. Similar to the Update Download - it shows it loads the file and then is stuck on 2% forever. Any ideas?

Same here, I tried two days ago. I have the same problem in downloading sliced files. Stuck at 2%.

We don’t yet support the Pi Zero

I think i found the problem. I tried to do the same with my Pi Model B using the same WiFi dongle, and it got stuck as well. So then I connected wired Ethernet and everything went smoothly. I may need another WiFi dongle. Technically the Pi Zero should behave the same as a Pi Model A or B, so once i have the new dongle I will send feedback.

Great ! Are you using our software image? Or did you create your own?

I am using your software image. Just completed the first print and it looks like it is working great.

Wolfgang

1 Like

So it sounds like the current solution is simply to plug in the device via ethernet to perform the update? Thanks for helping troubleshoot all!

It helped on my system. Let me know if it fixes your problem as well.

Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang! Unfortunately, my co-working space has crazy Ethernet and Wifi settings so it’s difficult for me to simply connect an ethernet cable. Trying again now with a different Wireless network to see if that works. But I’ll have to wait for another patch or something if I want this one to work out. I’ll need wireless.

Thanks again!! How long have you been using Astrobox / Astroprint?

@Wolfgang: Whooo hooo! Great news. You are one of the AstroBox pioneers on the PI ZERO. Nice job :smile:

@ dilanka: Sorry, but not quite yet. I originally tried to use the Zero but had the issues with wireless connection. I am using a Netgear Wifi dongle, which interestingly only came to life after bootup and after unplugging and replugging it at least twice. I was able to set up the Zero as a Astroprint client, but something must still be off with this particular dongle as I was experiencing the hangups with the update as well as the download of the sliced file from the server. There was no problem to remotely control the printer from it, though. I then went and replicated the exact same issue (including the need to unplug a couple of times to make the dongle work) on a Pi B, so that led me to the conclusion that it must be the dongle. Hooking up the Pi B with a wired Ethernet connection solved the problem. The Zero doesn’t have a wired Ethernet port, so I need to get another - compatible - WiFi dongle to test the Zero again.

Unfortunately I may have made a goofy mistake that took the life out of my Zero. I had a little USB manifold connected to the Zero which allowed me to hook plug in the WiFi dongle and hook it up to the printer, which is a Prusa i3 clone with a Ramps control board. I made the mistake to shut down the printer without unhooking the Zero first, so when I shut down the main power on the printer the Ramps board started drawing its power through the USB port. I think that pretty much fried the small power controller on the Zero, which is not suited for that type of current draw.

Now I am waiting for the Zero to become available again (if I don’t somehow get it fixed otherwise) and will try again. In the next go around I may just turn around and feed the 5V to the Zero directly from the Ramps board, so that this mistake does not happen again.

I’ll let everybody know as soon as I get a replacement for my Zero.

Wolfgang

1 Like

@Wolfgang

Ouch! Oh well, the good news is that it’s only $5 :smile:

Yeah, please update us on your experiments with the PiZero. I am trying to figure out the optimal dongle to be used with it as well…

Thanks!

I previously updated just fine, however I blew away my astrobox installation trying to setup a static IP address.
Not sure why but I could never get it to connect even using the peer to peer, so I just reflashed the card.
I am back up but now efforts to update to 8.4 fail totally. I get the downloading screen and one little
square of download then it stalls.

I tried using a wired connection but it does the same thing.

Is the update server down maybe?

Also not a big deal but I just downloaded the image and it seems to still be 8.3 so going that route to update
won’t work.

Any ideas?

TIA
Darren

1 Like

Darren –

Weird. Did you try this after rebooting the box? Also, what do you mean by peer to peer?

Update server should be fine.

You are correct about the latest v0.8(4) images not being available to download at https://www.astroprint.com/downloads – I have made a note about that.

I have run into this problem before personally and I have found that even though the download screen stalls that update actually installs fine – you can check this after rebooting the box.

Not sure if that’s what you are experiencing though.

Let us know!

The servers are fine. Just checked. It’s likely a connectivity issue rebooting should help as those problems are pretty random.

We don’t always make minor updates available as an SD image. 0.8(4) will likely only be available as an over-the-air download. We’ll wait until 0.9 or a critical fix to update the images on the downloads page.

I just set up an AstroBox on a RasPi 2 for the first time and had this same issue.

I solved it by shutting down Astrobox through the menu, cycling power on the RasPi and then trying the update process again.

I got my update installed…

rebooting and using wired ethernet didn’t help…

I think it has something to do with the internet connection, router / firewalls etc.
Took it to a different location and for fun tired the update again and no problems.

Maybe it was a glitch, I know I powered up and down several times and over a period
of several hours. When I get a chance I will try again at the problem location.

1 Like

Same problem here. RPi B (first one). Burned image, acquired IP through DHCP (wired network).
If I set up a static IP through “/etc/network/interfaces”, it says that I’m not connected to “astroprint.com”, but I can search for an update, and it does list “0.8(4)” as available, but with the information "Published: “undefined NaN, NaN”.

Anyways, after removing my settings from …/interfaces and rebooting, it is now able to log in to astroprint.com, but still the update won’t succeed. A small blob on the left on the update status bar is all that comes up, while saying “Downloading release”.
Almost no activity on the link-LED on my RPi, so I guess it is a bug of some sort. Reboots etc. doesn’t help unfortunately.

Ironic how this is an update to correct some network issues though :wink:

Update:
It worked after an reinstall on my second Pi, same B-model.
I had some problems with the network though. For some reason, a hotspot wasn’t created. I was using my RT2571 based adapter.
I had some problems, but it ended up with removing the adapter, connecting only with ethernet, rebooting, and checking my router to find the correct IP and set up the AstroBox. I also ran apt-get update/upgrade, and set the SSH password to something else than “raspberry”. When I then connected the WLAN adapter, rebooted and tried setting up “Connection” to connect to my Wifi, I always got "wrong password (100% sure it was correct) or “Could not connect to …”. I gave up, turned it off, then removed ethernet, and rebooted. Still no hotspot. But when I logged in to astroprint.com, I found it under “monitor”. It was now using the Wifi(!!). So it works, but it was a bit bugged to begin with, no idea why.

I also had same issue and found the problem was date time wasn’t correct.
After I set time correctly, all good. so please try following command and reboot then try.

sudo apt-get install ntpdate

2 Likes