Astroprint as an app?

Do you have plans to release astroprint as an application as well as a pre-configured full system image? So that it could be used with the ubuntu lightdm GUI desktop?
I love the power and hardware of the astroprint and it seems like a waste to have it sitting idle waiting for print jobs. I have always run octoprint under the Raspbian (raspberry pi) gui desktop and never had lag problems (unless I tried to slice stl files on it). So I would assume you could easily run the astrobox software as a background server app under the lubuntu lightdm desktop as well.
I would really like to use the pcduino 2’s arduino breakout pins with astroprint software, but the pcduino’s arduino IDE requires the gui/graphic drivers enabled. They are disabled and the lightdm desktop is disabled on your port of the lubuntu port.
Thanks guys! Loving Astroprint!
Ed

1 Like

We removed a few components in our version of the software to simplify setup and image size. One of our main design principles is that people shouldn’t need to use the HDMI output at all. However you can put them back on using apt-get. Also running

sudo board-config.sh

allows you to set it to boot to the desktop instead of command line.

There has to be some other configuration that has been altered that is preventing lightdm from loading. Your suggestion of the board-config-sh was the first thisng I tried (24 hours of receiving my astrobox :slight_smile: ).
I tried re-installing lightdm and then restarting it. From the lightdm.log located in /var/logs/lightdm, it looks like it might be a problem starting the “x server”. I’m not expecting help with the lumuntu OS, but I do want to make sure that nothing I do will interfere with the astroprint software/environment.
Here is the log from lightdm. It just sits with a black screen when I try to load it. The “interrupt” near the end is me forcing a shutdown.
There is no x-0.log stated in the lightdm.log. Can’t launch X server X?
Thank you for any help!
Ed

—lightdm.log—
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.2.3, UID=0 PID=3880
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xlocal
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Adding default seat
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting seat
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting new display for automatic login as user ubuntu
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting local X display
[+0.03s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+0.03s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Can’t launch X server X, not found in path
[+0.04s] DEBUG: X server stopped
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Display server stopped
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Stopping display
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Display stopped
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Stopping X local seat, failed to start a display
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Stopping seat
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Seat stopped
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+251.74s] DEBUG: Got signal 2 from process 0
[+251.74s] DEBUG: Caught Interrupt signal, shutting down
[+251.74s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
[+251.74s] DEBUG: Display manager stopped
[+251.74s] DEBUG: Stopping daemon
[+251.74s] DEBUG: Exiting with return value 0

It’s probably just a bunch of missing packages that we removed when trimming the OS. In this case it seems that you’re missing X server. Try this:

sudo apt-get install xorg

It might be that and other missing packages.

That was the fix! Was just using synaptic to install some programs (memory, drive and graphic hog!) along with running some manual printer commands. No lag in commands at all!
Next I’m working on the arduino type pins, while printing!
Perfect! Thats again!
Ed

1 Like

digging up a grave but why did you remove these thing but leave minecraft-pi and scratch and sonic-pi, and penguins puzzle among many others still on the os when you pruned it?

I didn’t see those and they didn’t affect boot up time. Good point you make though :wink: