Cannot connect to Ultimaker 3

I bought a male to male USB cable to connect it with my ultimaker3.

I hv read that ultimaker3 USB port does not support serial connection, so i thought i wont work.
However, On the astroprint official page, it says it is compatible with ultimaker3.
So I give it a try.

And it doesnt work. it cannot detect anything.

Can somebody verify this? or is it just me?

I responded to you via Facebook, but let’s continue the discussion here.

Can you try adjusting the baud rate and test the connection in the following screen?

Oh I just see this now.

No the baud rate thing wont show up at all.
It simply couldnt detect if any devices is connected.

On UM3 support forum, guys from ultimaker says that the infrastructure of the machine was very different from UM2 and the USB was not made to do serial connection.
It seems wifi connection is the only option, they claimed they had released APIs for that purpose.

Please do let me know in future if there’s a workaround that makes astrobox compatible to UM3.
I bought a camera module and a pi just for this purpose and thought it would work becuz UM3 was said to be compatible on the official page:
https://www.astroprint.com/astroprint-compatible-printers
Meanwhile I think it’s best to remove UM3 from the supported list, I know a few ppl had tried astrobox on UM3 and was frustrated.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this. It’s a really poor design decision on their part to remove USB printing. Printing over WiFi would complicate things and require an additional WiFi dongle. You can’t connect to your home wifi (for monitoring) and the printer’s wifi to send printer commands using the same wifi chip :frowning:

We will mark Ultimaker 3 printers as not compatible for now.

1 Like