Having issues with prints aborting since last update

Topic says it all. I’ve narrowed it down to a communications error between the astrobox and the printer causing the print job to abort. This started happening since upgrading to the latest update. Doesn’t happen all the time but probably 75% of the time. The reason I think it’s a communications issue is because I was seeing here monitoring thr print job on my iPad and all of a sudden the page refreshed and it said printer unavailable and the printer stopped.

Matt

Hmm. 75% makes it a bit tricky to figure out the exact cause. :confused:

I have had similar issues with our Printrbot Simple Metal and the problem turned out to be the USB cable end on the Printer side.

I wonder if it’s a cable issue.

Can you enable Serial Logs in your AstroBox and send it to us next time this happens?

Now it’s done it on the last several things I’ve tried to print. I swapped out USB cable but didn’t make a difference. I went and enabled serial logs and I sent it in however I did not create a ticket. Just a FYI… Same files printed from SD card prints fine without issue.

Matt

Also I was watching the print job on the iPad and I noticed something weird… It will sometimes loose connection and tell me printer is unavailable then restore itself (presumably before it times out) and go back to the normal screen at shows the current pic and other related info. Other times it will do the same thing but not recover and then it times out with printer unavailable message and printer stops. LCD on printer displays cannot continue.

Matt

Go to try another power supply. I have one for my RPi 3 that’s rated at 2.5 amps.

Matt

Weird. @Daniel should get your Serial Log. The only information he needs is What Kind of a Printer do you have? – A question I should have asked earlier :confused:

Also, the 2.5A power supply should be FINE as the 2.5A is more of the power supply’s capacity than what your RPi is drawing.

Let me know!

I took a look at the logs and they show input/output errors and buffer overflow errors. This indicated problem with the serial link. Perhaps going thorough and non powered hub or some other interference.

I can’t see anything in the logs that would point to problems with the release…

1 Like

I printing on a CTC Chinese Clone of a Makerbot Replicator 1 Dual. I will check the power supply that I’m using when I get home and see what it is rated for. First thing I thought of last night was that the PS might be having issues. If the RPi was being underpowered or couldn’t supply enough amps to the USB ports I could see where that might cause issues. I am also running a Logitech webcam plugged directly into the pi without a powered USB hub. Thanks for taking a look at the logs for me and I will trade out the PS tonight to see if that makes any difference I really hope I can get things running again. Having to go back to using the Makerbot Desktop software and a SD card was a pain in the rear last night after having the convenience of Astroprint and being able to use my iPad.

Matt

1 Like

New ps in place. Old one was rated for 1.2A and had the printer plus a webcam plugged into the RPi. If power was the issue it shouldn’t be now as the new ps is rated for 2.5A. I will do some testing and report back.

Matt

2 Likes

So far so good. Last two prints have completed successfully

Matt.

2 Likes