Heaters Turn Off During Print

I’m running Astrobox 0.8 on a Raspberry Pi 2 hooked up to a Flashforge Creator Pro running Sailfish 7.7.

I am slicing prints using Simplify 3D and uploading the x3g files to the AstroBox through the astrobox.local interface.

This works most of the time, but sometimes I will have one or both heaters (bed+extruder) turn off while printing. The printer doesn’t stop moving the heads around when this happens. The heaters simply turn off and eventually material stops extruding as the head cools down. I’ve never had this issue while printing from an SD card.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Did you ever fix this??
I’ve just sent my first print over this and it’s moving round the bed with no heated extruder!

I have the same problem, most of the time it prints normal but every now and then it turns of the heat but keeps printing.
Happend to me just now, I started a print remotely so it’s ready when I get home :slight_smile:

After the second layer heating stopped.
Latest verson v0.10(5) on a raspberry.

Similar cases have been reported. Our analysis of the logs show normal communication and then all of the sudden this erros shows up reported by the printer:

Recv: Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

What is your printer model? also please activate serial logs and send them to us after the error happens again via the advanced settings section so we can see if it’s the same problem

the official XMachines Lorei printer profile results in this issue for me around the second layer in ‘normal’ quality mode, but didn’t have this issue in ‘fine’ quality mode. the Lorei profile I created (from which the official profile was created) doesn’t have this issue “normal” mode…

as i recall something in the start/end scripts was adjusted when the profile was copied over to the manufacturer account. i suspect the source of the issue lives there. the adjustment was meant to fix ‘potentially broken syntax’ (paraphrasing from memory here).

I have the same(ish) issue; for me it is the bed starting the print at zero basically every time, and the extruder rarely. The extruder is easier to fix and usually responds to manual adjustment. The bed, however, takes a while. My workaround has been to initially overheat the bed manually by a few degrees (so that it starts at least hot) and then start trying to manually adjust using the slider and typed input, and hope it takes before the bed cools too much; I can usually get it before the printer drops more than 20 degrees or so. When I print tonight, I will do so with the logs on so you can have more insight. It’s the latest Astrobox install (as of last week) with an FFCPro set to single-extruder mode and using Autodesk Print Studio as my slicer.

Sent those logs, by the way. I am unsure what arcane magic I am using to fix the issue, it’s just “try many times before the print bed cools too much and I scuttle the print.” Seconding someone else that said they only had extruder setting to zero with ABS material, and I am having that as well. Weird that PLA never set my extruder temp, only the ABS.

Now that I have ditched the useless hairspray and moved to the much easier purple gluestick, I am printing ABS again w/o detachment, which is nice… hate the glass-like feel of PLA.

Your log shows not problems in communication. Is this a file sliced with the AstroPrint slicer or some other slicer?

It is sliced w/ Autodesk Print Studio. Perhaps I can make a screen-cast of it happening. It might be PEBCAK, but I don’t see how.

I tried the same print(file) again without reslicing it and had no problems.
I don’t use the slicer in astro, I generate an X3G file with makerbot desktop and upload it to the astrobox.
Until today the problem hasn’t returned so I have no log to send :frowning: