How to build the Astrobox SD image from source code

Dear all,
Would you please show me how I can build the final Astrobox SD image (like those from https://www.astroprint.com/downloads) from source code (https://github.com/AstroPrint/AstroBox)? I’d like to try this by myself rather than only get the image from the download page. Thank you a lot.

@dingcatdang:

Compiling images from source is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED and a major pain in the ass. :face_with_head_bandage:

The likelihood that something will go wrong is very high.

With that said, only @daniel could give you a definite answer on the exact process :smirk:

May I ask: why do you want to do this anyway? Are you trying to get it working on custom hardware?

@dilanka
Thank you for your quick response for such a nightmare:-)

Actually I am expecting to do some debug or learning on Astrbox + Raspberry.

Till now I’ve built a Astrobox by myself, and also read some source code of https://github.com/AstroPrint/AstroBox. And I am trying to change the source code, such as .js and .py files. But don’t know how to check the effect.

So if there are some guide on the exact build/release process from source code to image, it would be a benefit for me.

I have been looking into this as well, hoping to get it working on a BBP fastbot board.

@dilanka,
Seems that Daniel is absent right now:-) And would you please help me on such below small question?

In the source code, there are many .js files, such as AstroBox\src\astroprint\static\js\app\views\control.js, but in the final image on Raspberry board, there is no such file.

And I know actually it is combined into the app.js in image with many other .js files.

So my question is how I can verify my own changes in control.js in source code? I mean how can I get such changes into the final images.

Thank you a lot.

@dingcatdang

Other than known customizations – I have done zero exploring of the Astrobox source code, nor do I have any interest in doing so anytime soon :stuck_out_tongue:

You are on your own on this one my friend :wink: – if you do discover a solution, feel free to post it here though!

@dilanka
Ok, I will be on my own way, and keep trying.:slight_smile:

@daniel,
Any suggestion for us? Thank you a lot.

We haven’t yet focused on making the source easy to build as-is (something we need to do but haven’t had time).

Try editing or creating application.cfg file in the same directory as your config.yaml. The contents of that file should be:

ASSETS_DEBUG = True
ASSETS_AUTO_BUILD = True

@Daniel,
Thanks. But I don’t quietly understand some part of your reply. Sorry for I am totally newbie here. Actually I have two questions here.

The 1st one is the source build step. I know this could not be easy. So let’s ignore this one now. Maybe someday you could give us more about this:-)

The 2nd one could possibly be easier. Let me explain more. As seen in the source code, we have these two folders, And in both, there is a gen\ folder with empty file there.
src\astroprint\static\css\gen
src\astroprint\static\js\gen

When we come to the Raspberry board, there are also two relevant folders, and I found many .js files in source code are combined/merged into fewer ones in image.
/AstroBox/src/astroprint/static/js/gen
/AstroBox/src/astroprint/static/css/gen

So my question is how these happens, and how I can merge/combine my change in source code level into the final image?

Thank you very much in advance.

@Daniel,
I can hack the final .js(eg, /AstroBox/src/astroprint/static/js/gen/app.js) in image directly to verify some change, but actually it is almost unreadable.

And I know this is absolutely NOT the normal way for development.

So could you pls help me on this newbie problem? How to combine/merge those changes of readable .js files in source code into the final unreadable .js in the final image? Any build script/tool to do such thing?

If you change the application.cfg file that I mentioned before, the software will use the individual .js files instead of the generated and combined .js one.

Do you mean the following steps?

1. Change the /etc/astrobox/application.cfg in image into
    ASSETS_DEBUG = True
    ASSETS_AUTO_BUILD = True

2. For /AstroBox/src/astroprint/static/js/ and /AstroBox/src/astroprint/static/css/ folders in image, directly use the corresponding source code folders to replace them.

3. reboot my raspberry board

No, you need to clone the AstroBox repo on your raspberry pi first.

After you’ve cloned the system, you should stop the current one with:

sudo service astrobox stop

and start the new one using the repo you cloned. From the astrobox cloned directory:

python ./run --config /etc/astrobox/config.yaml

OK, let me try. Thank you a lot, and I will come back with the result soon:-)

@Daniel,
I tried your steps, but I failed with below errors, and seems fail to start the astrobox service. Any suggestion for me to move on?

pi@astrobox-5026 ~/AstroBox $ sudo python -OO ./run --config /etc/astrobox/config.yaml
2016-02-28 19:54:45,658 - octoprint.server - INFO - Starting AstroBox (AstroBox - v0.8(5))
2016-02-28 19:54:45,775 - astroprint.printfiles.gcode - INFO - Migrating metadata if necessary…
2016-02-28 19:54:45,776 - astroprint.printfiles.gcode - INFO - Updated 0 sets of metadata to new format
2016-02-28 19:54:46,422 - astroprint.boxrouter - INFO - This box has id 81a6145f4db04f06a7fe3b6a1cf8455e
2016-02-28 19:54:46,544 - astroprint.network.debian - INFO - NetworkManagerEvents is listening for signals
2016-02-28 19:54:49,886 - astroprint.network.debian - INFO - Looking for Active Connections…
2016-02-28 19:54:49,954 - octoprint.server - INFO - Listening on http://127.0.0.1:5000
2016-02-28 19:54:50,038 - astroprint.network.debian - INFO - Active Connection is now eth0 (192.168.199.202)
2016-02-28 19:54:50,041 - astroprint.boxrouter - INFO - Device is online. Attempting to connect to box router.
2016-02-28 19:54:53,091 - astroprint.discovery - INFO - Registered astrobox-5026 for SSDP
2016-02-28 19:54:53,636 - astroprint.boxrouter - INFO - Connected to astroprint service
2016-02-28 19:56:03,014 - octoprint - ERROR - Exception on / [GET]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1817, in wsgi_app
response = self.full_dispatch_request()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1477, in full_dispatch_request
rv = self.handle_user_exception(e)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1381, in handle_user_exception
reraise(exc_type, exc_value, tb)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1475, in full_dispatch_request
rv = self.dispatch_request()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1461, in dispatch_request
return self.view_functionsrule.endpoint
File “/home/pi/AstroBox/src/octoprint/server/init.py”, line 151, in index
serialLogActive= s.getBoolean([‘serial’, ‘log’])
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/templating.py”, line 128, in render_template
context, ctx.app)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/templating.py”, line 110, in _render
rv = template.render(context)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jinja2/environment.py”, line 969, in render
return self.environment.handle_exception(exc_info, True)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jinja2/environment.py”, line 742, in handle_exception
File “/home/pi/AstroBox/src/octoprint/…/astroprint/templates/app.jinja2”, line 1, in top-level template code
{% extends ‘base.jinja2’ %}
File “/home/pi/AstroBox/src/octoprint/…/astroprint/templates/base.jinja2”, line 9, in top-level template code
{% block css %}{% endblock %}
File “/home/pi/AstroBox/src/octoprint/…/astroprint/templates/app.jinja2”, line 9, in block “css”
{% assets filters=“scss”, output=“css/gen/app.css”, “css/scss/app.scss” %}
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/ext/jinja2.py”, line 186, in _render_assets
urls = bundle.urls()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/bundle.py”, line 787, in urls
urls.extend(bundle._urls(new_ctx, extra_filters, *args, **kwargs))
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/bundle.py”, line 746, in _urls
*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/bundle.py”, line 600, in _build
force, disable_cache=disable_cache, extra_filters=extra_filters)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/bundle.py”, line 524, in _merge_and_apply
kwargs=item_data)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py”, line 277, in apply
return self._wrap_cache(key, func)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py”, line 219, in _wrap_cache
content = func().getvalue()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py”, line 252, in func
getattr(filter, type)(data, out, **kwargs_final)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/filter/sass.py”, line 146, in input
self._apply_sass(_in, out, os.path.dirname(source_path))
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/filter/sass.py”, line 127, in _apply_sass
shell=(os.name == ‘nt’))
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 679, in init
errread, errwrite)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 1259, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

@Daniel,
The above error of “OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory” is due to sass missing.

After I apt-get install ruby and apt-get install ruby-sass, the astrobox service can be started, and I can access the Astrobox’s web page from browser. Thank you a lot.

And I will continue to change those source code files, eg, .js files to see the result.

@Daniel,
Thank you a lot. Finally I can change the source code on raspberry board directly now.

On the other hand of our discussion, could you please show us how to generate the combined/compressed .js files and the .css files just like those in the downloaded image? I mean /AstroBox/src/astroprint/static/js/gen and /AstroBox/src/astroprint/static/css/gen.

We’re not planning on releasing our packaging tools at the moment but you don’t really need them to develop on the astrobox.

Please do create a pull request is what you’re doing should be consider part of the official release.

Ok, got it. Thank you again on the way.

2 Likes

Hey there, I followed all the steps mentioned above but still I am unable to run Astrobox from the source code. I am getting the following errors:

2017-05-31 07:49:22,423 - octoprint - ERROR - Exception on / [GET]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1817, in wsgi_app
response = self.full_dispatch_request()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1477, in full_dispatch_request
rv = self.handle_user_exception(e)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1381, in handle_user_exception
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1475, in full_dispatch_request
rv = self.dispatch_request()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/app.py”, line 1461, in dispatch_request
return self.view_functionsrule.endpoint
File “/home/pi/AstroBox/src/octoprint/server/init.py”, line 162, in index
wsToken= create_ws_token(userManager.findUser(loggedUsername).publicKey if loggedUsername else None)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/templating.py”, line 128, in render_template
context, ctx.app)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/flask/templating.py”, line 110, in _render
rv = template.render(context)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jinja2/environment.py”, line 989, in render
return self.environment.handle_exception(exc_info, True)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jinja2/environment.py”, line 754, in handle_exception
File “/home/pi/AstroBox/src/octoprint/…/astroprint/templates/app.jinja2”, line 1, in top-level template code
{% extends ‘base.jinja2’ %}
File “/home/pi/AstroBox/src/octoprint/…/astroprint/templates/base.jinja2”, line 9, in top-level template code
{% block css %}{% endblock %}
File “/home/pi/AstroBox/src/octoprint/…/astroprint/templates/app.jinja2”, line 5, in block “css”
{% assets filters=“scss”, output=“css/gen/login.css”, “css/scss/login.scss” %}
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/ext/jinja2.py”, line 186, in _render_assets
urls = bundle.urls()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/bundle.py”, line 787, in urls
urls.extend(bundle._urls(new_ctx, extra_filters, *args, **kwargs))
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/bundle.py”, line 746, in _urls
*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/bundle.py”, line 600, in _build
force, disable_cache=disable_cache, extra_filters=extra_filters)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/bundle.py”, line 524, in _merge_and_apply
kwargs=item_data)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py”, line 276, in apply
return self._wrap_cache(key, func)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py”, line 218, in _wrap_cache
content = func().getvalue()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py”, line 251, in func
getattr(filter, type)(data, out, **kwargs_final)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/filter/sass.py”, line 196, in input
self._apply_sass(_in, out, os.path.dirname(source_path))
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/filter/sass.py”, line 190, in _apply_sass
return self.subprocess(args, out, _in)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/filter/init.py”, line 523, in subprocess
proc.returncode, stdout, stderr))
FilterError: scss: subprocess returned a non-success result code: 65, stdout=, stderr=Error: File to import not found or unreadable: foundation/components/global.
Load path: /home/pi/AstroBox (DEPRECATED)
on line 5 of standard input
Use --trace for backtrace.

Help me figure this out, I have even installed sass and ruby as @dingcatdang mentioned still no luck.