I Want To Use Simplify3D As My Slicer And Monitor - Any Way To Bypass Cloud Slicer Or Print From SD?

I want to use Simplify 3D as my slicer and monitor my prints. As of now, I can’t find a way to bypass the cloud slicer. If I print from SD, I don’t get time remaining and layer info etc, the camera still works.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I print using Simplify 3D as my slicer and still maintain the ability to monitor my prints?

This a very common setup. People create their GCode or x3g files using simplify3D and then upload them directly to the astrobox via the astrobox UI.

So we do not currently support monitoring of SD Card prints but can start pre-sliced files via the astrobox

So, I found that. I can upload to the Astro box, and print from the astrobox. What I get is layer and percentage info. No time calculations. I’m upload x3g files exported from Simplify 3D.

It just hangs on calculating Gcode. I can print while in that status but missing info.

How do I get all the functionality?

Thanks.

After a successful print, your values would be saved and used in a repeat print.

If we didn’t slice the file, we’re missing some information on the first print

Or use gcode as output from S3D. Than you get correct time info…

Thanks for the replies.

I just tried to do a .gcode file upload to the Astrobox. All the .gcode files were unavilable, it would only let me upload .x3g.

If you’re using the S3G driver ( as you should for a Makerbot or clone using sailfish ) the system would only let you upload x3g which is what I had assumed.

We’re unable to analyze x3g files created by other slicers at the moment that’s why time estimate and number or layers won’t show until you’ve printed the object successfully once.

This should not prevent you from printing and monitoring though.

Yes, I figured. With octoprint I could do nothing except video, probably for similar reasons.

One more question. With astroprint I get the current layer the print is on, and a percentage.

How is it calculating the percentage complete? I assume, because it’s the only info I have, it’s calculating percentage based on the layer it’s on. But, if that’s the case, why is the total number of layers unavailable? I literally see “Layer 50 of -”

Or maybe I’m wrong on the calculation of the percentage complete.

The percentage is calculated using the amount of bytes consumed by the printer vs the total file size. This is more accurate and fine grained than layer count even when we know the total layers.

Thanks for your help. Having the percentage and current layer is very helpful.

1 Like

Hey Bill_Jones,

I know this is over a year later but who knows you may still get notified of replies to this, or at the very least it’ll help someone else. Anyways I wrote up this quick guide that I uploaded to thingiverse for having simplify3D automatically upload your sliced object to astroprint. Helps stream line things. hope you like!

Auto upload from Simplify3D to AstroBox

1 Like

A future version of our Desktop Software will have this functionality. Stay tuned.

1 Like