MJPEG Streamer no longer available?


#1

I didn’t want to necromance one of the old threads…Is the mjpeg streamer approach no longer available? I am never reliably able to get a stream from any of my systems locally. I have better luck from the cloud website, but that is heavily delayed. I have vpn connections I can use and a gigabit connection…so I would much rather prefer a live stream option. The WebRTC is painfully unreliable on even the latest browsers…at least for me.


#2

I managed to cobble together enough information to get this working. The old document seems unpublished…but I used some stuff from the octo documents for raspbian and old discussions…you will need to Enable SSH to your Astrobox for this process.

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR MESSED UP SYSTEMS!! MAKE A IMAGE BACKUP…

sudo apt-get install git python-opencv python-numpy libjpeg62-turbo-dev imagemagick ffmpeg libv4l-dev cmake
git clone https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer.git
cd mjpg-streamer/mjpg-streamer-experimental
make
cd ..
sudo cp -a mjpg-streamer-experimental /mjpeg_streamer
sudo nano -w /etc/astrobox/config.yaml
Add the following line (EXACTLY 2 spaces before manager)
    camera:
      manager: mjpeg
Reboot

After these modifications, the camera settings should show MJPEG Encoded as an option. After reboot, I also notice the config.yaml gets update with more settings. Some of the settings, like the mjpeg location, seem compiled into the code based on what I can see in the Astrobox github source. Good luck! I haven’t tinkered beyond this, but snapshots and video fires right up in all my browsers now…


#3

I don’t know that I can recommend this setup. It works just fine, but is somewhat unstable. Starting and stopping the video feed sometime causes system lockups. On otherwise flawlessly running Astroboxes, I have managed to get them to soft lock a few times. It works but I would absolutely call this Alpha…I guess we are stuck hoping it gets fixed in Astroprint, or a better solution becomes available. It works REALLY well when it is working, but at the worst it will lock up something and fail a print lol. Maybe someone from the dev team can chime in with their thoughts.