Power to printer - movement of printhead

I can only move the printhead from the computer in Astroprint when the main power is connected to the printer at the same time as the USB cable is connected from the 3D printer to the Raspberry Pi 3.
If only the USB cable is connected i can only change the temperature but nothing else.

Is this how it should be, and if yes…is that safe? Since I’ve read online that the Arduino Mega/Ramps board can be destroyed if power is connected at the same time from both USB and main power?
Or is this information not accurate?

Also my camera is not working, Astroprint recognizes the camera but it doesn’t show any picture, i managed to get it to take a picture but no video directly after setting it up, but after i turned off the Raspberry Pi 3 and started it again i can’t take either photos or stream video?
Any suggestions about this?
Thanks in advance.

This is expected behavior. What happens is the pi is powering your printer board and it looks as if it’s on. The board has enough power to boot up and communicate but doesn’t have enough power to activate the hotbed or the stepper motors.

Regarding camera, please try with FireFox, the latest version of Chrome (56) has broken something on the WebRTC / H264 video combination.

More info on browser support for live streaming here: https://astroprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/209139946-Browser-support-for-AstroBox-Live-Streaming

Thanks, yes i noticed that Safari is not supported, but streaming is now working with Chrome 54.

Another question so i don’t need to start a new thread… how do i access the printer through Astroprint through a web browser that is not connected to the same WiFi connection as the printer?
For example connect to my 3D printer when I’m on the other side of the world?
What adress should i use to connect to my printer in that case?
The adress i type in now works only when i use a browser which is on the same network as the printer.

Link your box with astroprint.com by entering your astroprint username and password. Then log in with the same on astroprint.com and go to “Monitor”

Yes, but i only come to the Astroprint page where i can see the printer nozzle and bed temperature and change them, but i can not “Launch Astrobox-xxxx”, and it also says under that button that it can only be launched when I’m in the same network as the Astrobox.

So does this mean that launch of prints and control of print heads etc. can only be done when I’m on the same network as the Astrobox? Just checking that that is the way it should be?

That is correct. The remote screen is for monitoring prints. You can also start prints from various places o the site ( like file manager ).

The control screen is only available in the local network. You should be close to your printer when you move it around :wink:

As Daniel mentioned you can kick off prints and have limited control right from the astroprint web page. You can however connect to the astrobox directly if you know how to port map things from you router. I have posted some of the details here before if you search. I will post a link when I get to my computer. But as Daniel also mentioned you do need to take care when moving things remotely but not much worse than printing remotely.

Thanks, yes i guess i don’t have a need to start prints when I’m on the other side of the world. Just wanted to know that the behavior i saw was normal and expected.
So then i guess everything is working as it should as far as i can see?
It should however be nice to have the option to use all functions from anywhere even though its not necessary.

What i miss though is the webcam streaming from my computers Safari browser and especially from my IOS device.
I would really want to have the ability to check the status on the go from my mobile phone (iPhone).

About my initial question. You say its normal that the printhead movements etc. should only work when the main power is connected together with the USB cable.

So what about the threads i have been reading online about people saying one should not power the boards from both main power and the power from USB at the same time because this can destroy the boards, is this information not accurate?

This is something we can’t control. The USB cable carries power and it would be up to the board to not use it. Not all boards do it.

We do have some printers that show the behavior you described and have not have any problems.

Yes of course thats out of your control. Just curious if you guys knew anything about that particular issue I’ve been reading about in a couple of threads online.

Anyway, my Astroprint setup seems to work just fine at the moment.
Thanks for your answers.

1 Like

With the type of voltage regulators in use today this should not generally be a problem.
If the printer board has some odd style it might be possible but unlikely.

FYI: computers and Pi’s provide +5v on the usb bus (this is part of the usb spec)
most devices plugged into such machines receive and are powered by that 5v
some devices also have their own power supply and may connect this to the same pin on the USB port.

The problem would come if both devices didn’t provide the same voltage…modern regulators are good but still not perfect so one might make 5.05v while the other 4.95v…In a straight short circuit this would allow power to run from the higher to the lower in a ‘backward’ fashion.

Buck converters which are commonly used to provide 5v from computers and printers and other power supplies switch on and off quickly: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter

I like to use plumbing as an analogy for electrical systems…If you think of water pressure as Voltage and if you have a valve with high pressure on one side and you want to raise the pressure on the other you could open the valve a little and water would flow through from the hi side (supply) to the low side…you could just leave that valve open a little as as long as the water has some place to go on the low side you could set the pressure by balancing the water going in with the water going out…

But suppose as in our USB 5v case the low side actually had more pressure then the water would flow backward this would be bad imagine that is the sewer side of your water supply…yuck!

With the buck converter power supply however the valve is not just left open at some amount to raise the voltage on the low side to 5V rather it is opened and closed very fast and it generally has a one way valve and a sensor on the low side so that it won’t open unless that side is lower than voltage you want to set…so it opens and lets some water through then closes as soon as the desired pressure is reached. If the water is already at a higher pressure than it wants to set then it never opens. The only problem is if the pressure is so high it breaks the valve…but that takes many volts (lots of pressure) and there should never be that much difference between the two regulators, so things are safe.

Obviously this is a simplified description and there are various circuits that could be involved that might cause a failure but in general not a problem as evidenced by the fact that many people have many devices hooked up this way and it is seldom a problem (I would be curious to read the threads where this was a concern)…most common exceptions I can think of could be poorly rated parts (valves break way too easy) or really sub-standard designs (uses some other type of regulator) but these should be rare. Even in cheaper equipment these days uses standard parts and designs or copies of those and generally most use this type of converter.

end lecture mode…:slight_smile:

Thanks for your detailed answer. I have read in a couple of threads on i believe it was on the RC groups forum about that some people claim the reason for their failing Arduino board is because they connected power through both USB and mains.
Don´t know if that was the real reason for their broken board, but so they say?

I will try to see if i find the thread again.

By the way, how do i power up the Raspberry Pi after a shutdown? I can power it down with the “power down” button in Astroprint, but i can´t find a way to turn it on other than disconnecting the power cable to the Raspberry Pi and then connect the power to the Raspberry Pi again.
Isn´t there an easier way?