Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Issues

I’ve got a raspberry pi 3 model b and i have flashed and retried about 20 times. I bought the edimax dongle they recommend and that does not create a hot spot, the only time i can get a hotspot is when I’m connect to my router, which is in a separate room from my printer. I set it up connected to the router and i choose WiFi network and enter the password, it says connected but the ip address is blank. I shut it down move it to my printed and nothing, will not connect to the internet.
Any ideas how i can get this working?
Thanks

@Chris_Pooley:

You are definitely doing something wrong.

Did you follow this guide?

When you are booting up, make sure the WiFi dongle is CONNECTED and the RPi is NOT connected via Ethernet.

This will make sure the hotspot starts automatically (provided that you flashed it properly).

If you did all of that, it is likely a local router/network issue. The Astrobox setup is usually pretty damn fast…

Let us know…

I’ve followed this guide. When I’ve flashed the sd card directly from the download form the website it doesnt look like that. There no folders named like that apart from overlaps.

What is the folder structure of your sd card?

That seems right. Can you do an md5 on the zip file downloaded ?

The image is ok as such as many people have downloaded and installed successfully. I’m thinking something might be corrupted on download for you

im having the same issues

I just downloaded the zip file again. When I do an MD5 on my downloaded file I get the correct value (the one displayed in the downloads page) this means that the file is not corrupted on the server.

Since this image was uploaded 3 days ago we have had 100s of people upgrade and flash their Rpi successfully. At this point I can’t see a widespread problem with the release. I’d like to focus on your individual situations to see what might be causing the problems. Let’s try two things.

1. Check the MD5 strings of the ZIP file you downloaded (use this guide). Make sure it’s the same as the one listed in the downloads page

2. When you setup your box again. Uncheck the box that tells the system to turn off the hotspot when it finds a suitable network. This way if your internet connection is poor, you can get into the box via its hotspot to see what might be going on. Here’s a screenshot of the setup window where this option is:

Just tried on my mac aswell and MD5 is not the same, trying the torrent file now. If this doesnt work are there any other ways?

I’ve donwloaded and retried about 4 times torrent and zip and i keep getting the same hash, but the wrong hash.
5c7e08a1e92e6d096836e102ac8b4527

@Chris_Pooley:

How are you trying to check the MD5?

Can you specify the method and software you are using?

Does the download manager indicate that the download is COMPLETE?

What is the file size of the downloaded .ZIP file?

Are you performing the MD5 check on the .IMG file after unzipping or the .ZIP file itself without any unzipping? (It should be the .ZIP file)

I’m using WinMD5free to check the hash.
I’m downloading the zip from website, extracting it to get the .img then I’m using windisk32 imager, I’ve also tried etcher to flash it. Ejecting the card putting it in pi with dongle plugged in and powering on.
The download is complete both .zip and torrent.
The .zip size is 63.9KB
I have been checking the .img file but i have just checked the .zip and it matches, my bad.
But this still doesn’t solve my original problem.

That’s a typo right? Because that’s definitely wrong.

Presuming your file is good and you have flashed it properly, we need to figure out why the WiFi dongle is not working…:thinking:

Can you plug in the Pi3 to a screen via HDMI and try booting it up with a newly flashed image and with the EDIMAX dongle plugged in?

That might show us some clues during the boot up process…

The furthest i have just got is by starting it connected to ethernet, the dongle does then light up and a hot spot is created, I set it up and it says its ready to go. I set up the wifi, put in the password and it says connected but it shows no ip address. I unplug the ethernet and its still fine. So I shut it down and move it to my printer in another room, power it on and no internet connect or hotspot. I think the problem now is holding an wireless connection?

It’s possible. Can you try what I describe above: Raspberry Pi 3 Setup Issues

Also, silly question – but do you have adequate WiFi coverage from the new location?

The Edimax manual also mentions that your particular dongle is compatible in 2.4GHz on channels 1~11 FYI.

@dilanka is right, your astrobox might not have good coverage on that location or the wifi is configured in an unsupported channel (even though other devices might work just fine there).

Keeping the hotspot open as explained in my post above, would allow you to get back in the box using its hotspot and the http://10.10.0.1 address and see if the AstroBox is connected to the WiFi and what the signal strength is.

Have others had problems with the AstroBox 0.10(4) (size 814MB) of 12-27-2016? My setup is a RPi 3 w/7" touch screen, logitech K400, and an extra wifi dongle. I do not get the Astroprint startup screen or hotspot wifi signal, I do get the command line: pi@astrobox-2331:~$ after logging in as user pi. I have verified the MD5, flashed two different SD cards (twice ea.) and looked through the forum, any other suggestions?
It is also interesting to press the up/down arrows and see the console/build history left there.

Nothing is going to be shown on the touch screen. The current version only uses a web UI accessed via an external browser.

Also your dongle is not what we support. See this: https://blog.astroprint.com/astroprint-and-raspberry-pi-3-support/

I am having the same issue,
A clean flash of Astroprint to a Raspberry pi 3 and no hotspot is found, I can then hook up a Network Cable and setup Astroprint and setup the wireless connection, unplug the network cable and test Wifi all is good
As soon as I power down astroprint it looses the settings for wifi and will not connect.

I have done a update on Astroprint as well