Sending print file always stops at 2%

The sending print file always stops at 2% and doesn’t progress. I haven’t had a print run yet.

RPi2 with the recommended hardware and latest update from May.

This seems to be the same when loading files from the astroprint dashboard and when trying to pull files down using the printer controls.

The printer is completely controllable via the directional arrows and the terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 Like

@Matt1:

This is actually a known bug that we haven’t found a solution for yet.

Does this happen regularly or once in a while? If so, can you describe your setup in as much detail as possible? Perhaps we can find some common denominators in tracking down the cause.

When this happens to me, I just refresh and the print file gets sent with no problems on the second/third attempt.

I’ve never had a print run. This is the same problem for all the files I’ve tried, small simple files and large complex ones. Same problem this morning as last night, always stops at 2%
Here’s some of the specifics and things that I thought might be an issue.

• Vanilla astrobox RPi image, updated via the GUI before I tried any prints.
  • 8GB class 4 SD card (some warning bells going off for me now)
  • Astrobox is running on a RPi2 with the recommended Edimax dongle
  • Connected to a printer running a new version of Marlin, with some typical configuration mods but no new .
  • The astrobox is very close to the router
  • I’m in Australia (maybe some timeout settings from the server?)
  • Internet here is ADSL2+ but can be pretty slow at times.
  • The g-code created works fine when it’s run locally on mattercontrol.
1 Like

Maybe not specifically an astrobox issue but I have had comm failures and other odd behavior from several Pis using certain sd cards, even new cards. I now suspect that it might be speed related…all the ones that have been odd have been of the slower variety, I replace them with a class ten card same image and everything just works.

It is really odd that the Pi would boot but not function correctly…last time it was with a aircraft tracking /GPS system I was setting up for a friend using all new parts on a Pi3…thing just would not talk to the radio modules or the GPS module…tried same thing on my Pi2 with same modules and also usb wifi it would boot but just didn’t work…reloaded images several times, no errors reported by the PC loading the card…no other changes change the card and poof everything works as it should…go back to old card and same old problem…like I said…odd.

1 Like

We never get a direct answer from you guys. Does this software actually work or are we wasting our time. I’ve been working on this 4 weeks. I have an SD card with Noobs on it but still nothing. Should I give up on AstroPrint and AstroBox? Perhaps try Octo?

Of course the software works :wink: We also test all these things before release. Our software is used in many different network configurations and environments and unfortunately in some cases it doesn’t work. We do our best to analyze these cases and help. In some cases it’s user error, misconfiguration and in other cases a bug in our software is uncovered and it gets fixed in a later release.

@Brian_Bobbitt I don’t know what you mean by SD Card with Noobs but I said in a different thread you need to get the pi image from https://www.astroprint.com/downloads.

@Brian_Bobbitt:

Yup, the software works – often too well. Since there are virtually Infinite possible combinations of different setups and users, it’s impossible for ANY product to work optimally 100% of the time.

For example, a Ferrari might be an excellent sports car, but it would be a HORRIBLE off-road vehicle.

At the end of the day, if Astroprint is not working for you, my recommendation is to try other things (like Octoprint) until you find something that makes you happy. You might also find our cheat sheet useful in your pursuits.

After all, weeks of tinkering around without results is not a great use of time…at least for me. :smile:

1 Like

@Matt1:

Random experiment: What browser are you using? If its either Firefox or Chrome, can you re-try printing with an INCOGNITO WINDOW (without any extensions or plugins) to rule out any JavaScript conflicts with browser plugins etc.?

Also, what Printer is this? And what do you mean by typical configuration mods?

It also maybe a network issue on the Astrobox…

OK so…
I was running the process using Chrome (both dashboard and the printer controls). I just tried from an iOS device instead (iPad 2 I think).

It all seems to work, the file paused briefly at 2% and then continued on quickly. (I think it only paused to mess with me).

I’ll try again with chrome and see if I can confirm this is the issue before upgrading to version 0.9.

Matt

1 Like

I’ll let you in on a little UX trick :wink: the inital 2% is just put in there so that users recognize that the process has started. If it doesn’t move for a while, it means nothing is happening.

The behavior you described of 2%, then pause then continue is the expected behavior.

We have noticed that people react better to an inital 2% than a 0% for a few seconds.

Of course this doesn’t help if there’s an error. The most common one being that your box is unable to either:

a) receive the command to download file or,
b) is unable to start downloading the file

Both caused by network connection problems at the astrobox.

It’s possible that is something new that’s happening here so we’ll investigate. You can send us logs right after this has happened by going to your box settings icon and then advanced

1 Like