Setting up Raspberry Pi Zero W headless

Trying to set up a headless Pi Zero W using the built in wifi. With the changes from Jessie to Stretch in Raspbian, setting up how to get your Pi connected to your home wifi has changed somewhat - with spa_supplicant.conf now used and particular coding required to make it work -ref 3rd post - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=203716

I finally managed to get the latest version of Stretch setup and connected using those details. However, this doesn’t seem to work AstroBox-rpi-0_13_11-20180709.

Any idea what coding/requirements are needed for the Astro distro?

Thanks,

Have you seen this: https://astroprint.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207866186-Can-I-configure-the-Raspberry-Pi-network-myself-

Yes but that is for when you have actually got the Pi connected to the network, which I’m struggling to do with the Astro distro.

Looking on the Octopi website, their distro uses a similar wpa_supplicant file but renamed “octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt”. Is the Astro one similar to this?

No we don’t have anything like that because our product is meant to be configured using a hotspot or ethernet (the Pi Zero W is not really supported but works).

You don’t need to have it connected to run those commands. You can plugin a monitor to the hdmi port and a keyboard to the USB port.

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

I was hoping to just have the Pi Zero W run AstroPrint and I could access it via Astro Desktop/iOS app just on the local network, no remote access or running a webcam. I would have thought this would have been possible?

I wasn’t planning on buying a mirco hdmi cable or a usb keyboard so setting up the Pi via sd card/terminal would have been good. I thought Astro distro runs a variant of Raspbain? Would this not include wpa_supplicant as standard, just possibly renamed similar to Octo?

Many thanks,

It is a variant of Raspbian but the OctoPrint setup is not standard Raspbian, it’s done by the OctoPi project. We currently don’t support it

I understand but octoprint are just using what is baked into raspbain already. Let me try a different tack - what version of raspbain is currently used in the latest Astro distro?

No @danielkrice, the OctoPrint config files on the boot drive are not baked into Raspbian, that was implemented as part of the OctoPi project.