[Suggestion] Print View UI Tweaks

Greetings!

I just started using AstroPrint yesterday after using OctoPrint for a week now. The ability to check on your prints over the cloud service makes it a clear winner. At surface level, it seems more secure. I’m liking the experience so far.

One little hiccup for me is the ‘Print View’ screen.

(Sorry for the imgur link, I can only post one image because I’m new :O)

The Problem
The video feed is quite small on my desktop screen and it is hard to make out details on my print. In order to get the resolution I need, I have to scale up the page. When I do that, all of the other information about the print status in no longer in view.

My Solution
I wrote an extension for chrome the adjusts the page’s layout.

This layout makes the video feed bigger and leaves all of the data visible on screen when the web page is in ‘large’ mode. For me personally, this is a big improvement for monitoring my prints.

I made very minor changes and I think this could be improved upon. All I did was make the video 8 columns for large mode instead of 4. I then moved the progress bar to come after the ‘Printing Layer’ div.

I also added a button to allow me the view the video in full screen, Full screen isn’t a huge deal for me and I imagine it has not been included because of the lack of a universal API for it.

Let me know what you think. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yo @Matthew_Thompson:

First of all, Thanks for the kind words. Very much appreciated! :innocent:

Second, thanks for taking the time to write a chrome extension :wink: You should consider toying with the API if you already haven’t!

Finally, we are fully aware of the fact that the video screen is too small. In fact, we are in the middle of tweaking the UI/UX to reflect a bigger video screen.

Ideally, we are going to make it possible to go full screen without losing the other print statistics.

Stay tuned! :pray::innocent:

P.S: You are not the first to complain about this issue. Brent (on Twitter) suggested the following:

Glad to hear it is in the works. Seeing stats while full screen would be pretty rad!

I have not checked out the API yet. I may check it out in the near future.

Cheers :smiley:

1 Like