Wifi Hotspot purpose

I don’t really understand the purpose of the hotspot creation. Is it necessary? I am able to connect to the Pi astrobox via the assigned IP address already, so if the purpose of the hotspot is to be able to connect to it, then I can’t figure out why else I need it.

Also, is there a way to set a static IP address? There was no place on the settings page to allow that. If not, that would be a nice feature to add.

The purpose of the hotspot is to:

• Eliminate the need for wires
  • Give you the ability to wirelessly setup/configure the Astrobox without requiring technical knowledge on figuring out IP addresses
  • Allow you to print and monitor your printer wirelessly (if you have decided to use it locally without internet)

Plus the fact that it requires you to be nearby (proximity) with valid credentials is also an added security feature :wink:

To answer your question, you don’t NEED the hotspot per se — it’s just a personal preference depending on your workflow.

At the moment, there is no way to set a static IP address within the Astrobox settings.

If you are a Linux geek, I am sure there’s a way to force a static IP based on the Astrobox’s MAC address (at the router) – but, I haven’t done that before :innocent:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I have what is pretty close to the suggested wifi dongle, it’s an Edimax N150 but also has bluetooth. It must be different enough in some way that the hotspot is not being created. I’m trying to figure out if it’s something I need.

Weird.

Can you link to the actual product on Amazon/online?

The N150 is indeed what we recommend, but I wasn’t aware that there was a different version with the same model number.

Besides, the RPi3 already has Bluetooth.

Here is the link. The model number is slightly different. Used this because it’s what I happened to have. Thought since it was a “N150” that it would work the same.

Just because it’s Edimax doesn’t mean it would be compatible :frowning:

We made the hotspot driver for the Realtek 8188 and 8192 Chips. These are used by several manufacturers and it’s possible that Edimax uses other chips for different product. This FAQ articles explains:

Daniel, I understand that not all Edimax are compatible. The point of my original post was to determine if the hotspot function was necessary for the operation of the box. The Edimax N150 (+BT) is what I happened to have on hand. Since it is an Edimax N150 that is nearly identical to the one Astroprint recommends, I thought it would be worth trying it to see if it worked. Obviously it is different enough in some way to not be compatible.

At this point I still haven’t found a compelling reason to add the hotspot functionality since I am able to connect to my Astropi via the dashboard interface.

Nope, not necessary.

If you don’t find it compelling, no need to use it :slight_smile: