Can't connect printer to RPi2

Hi. I downloaded AstroPrint to my RPi2, and tried setting it up using Ethernet, and the WiPi dongle(Don’t have the Edimax one).

The Pi won’t create a hotspot, and I can’t connect to it from my computer using Ethernet.

Could anyone please help, and show me(preferably step-by-step) how to set my Pi up without the Edimax dongle?
Thanks!

@Yoav_Gilad:

Per our instructions on making an Astrobox with a Raspberry Pi, without an EDIMAX (or equivalent, Linux compatible dongle using the same driver) – a hotspot is NOT possible.

If you want to set it up using Ethernet, after plugging it into your router, you’ll have to figure out the Astrobox’s IP address to complete the setup.

You can do this a few ways, namely:

1.) By going into your router settings (varies by model) and looking for connected devices

2.) By using an app like Fing, which can be operated via your smartphone to find the Astrobox IP address.

Side note: Finding the IP address will be MUCH easier VERY SOON as our mobile and desktop apps will automatically find any connected Astroboxes, even without a dongle – when they are released.

I would suggest #2.

Just connect to your WiFi router wirelessly with your smartphone AFTER your Astrobox is wired into the router.

Then run Fing and scan for connected devices.

You should see your Raspberry Pi :wink:

Then, simply copy the IP address and go to it via your web browser.

That should take you to a self explanatory setup.

After setup is done, be sure that all of the three icons on the top right are green like this:

That should help.

If not, let me know, and I’ll clarify any confusing parts :wink:

Hey dilanka, thanks for the fast reply! I’ve logged in to the Pi using a keyboard, and found the ip using ifconfig eth0.

Both the Pi and the computer I’m using are connected via Ethernet to the same router, but I’m still not able to connect to the Pi’s IP.

1 Like

Using the IP the Pi provided didn’t work, but using the one Fing showed me did indeed work!
I’m currently going through the setup, if I bump into any problems I’ll edit this post.

Thanks a lot @dilanka !

Edit: I set the box up, and it seems to be working,but it won’t detect my printer. Also, why won’t the box show up on Fing when connected to one of these?

1 Like

@Yoav_Gilad:

I have no idea what that is :thinking:

Is it some sort of a splitter?

As for the printer not working, what kind of printer is it?

Also, did you select with correct firmware (Marlin/Sailfish) and set the correct baud rate?

You connect one to the router and one to your computer, for example, and the two are connected to different power outlets. Then your computer is basically connected to the router with Ethernet, through the house’s power network.

As for the printer, it’s a Prusa i3 clone, running Marlin. It’s baud rate is 115200, but where do I select baud rate in the Astrobox?

Thanks a lot!

@Yoav_Gilad:

Ok, gotcha.

So, it’s very likely that the problem is the baud rate.

You can access this in the AstroBox Settings under Connection

Not sure about that device, but since since not a standard device most people use, it’s certainly probably that it’s confusing how Fing detects devices…

Sorry for the late reply @dilanka :slight_smile:
My problem is that even though the printer is physically connected to the Pi’s USB port, it won’t appear on the astrobox’s UI. Says no printer detected.
Myabe it’s the Arduino driver on the Pi?
And as for the Ethernet thing, I’ll keep using WiFi for now :slight_smile: