Controls Wanhao Duplicator I3

I might be wrong but when I hit the Horizontal rear + the bed should move back in my opinion.
Because that’s how I look at the horizontal picture.

But if you look at the + and - symbols it works the other way around. +10 is bed move forward 10mm I think they need to switch place for the Duplicator I3

Why back?

Is it not intuitive/clear that it should move to THE RIGHT?

Like arrow keys on your keyboard, it should move as it looks…

This is the first time I’ve heard this particular complaint :thinking:

Not to the right to the back (circled + sign)

Ah! My mistake.

Yeah, that’s correct.

Not sure why that’s not working for you.

I am half asleep right now so let me test/look into this tomorrow.

NP, good night It’s probably just the duplicator I3

Not sure but I think this is just a perspective issue when dealing with moving bed platforms…

I know way back when I started using a CNC mill everything seemed backward but the reason for that
was perspective…while the bed moves one way the location of the head moves relatively the other way.

manual controls change the position of the head as if the bed was stationary and the head was moving…

Generally in the CNC world this does not change no matter the design of the tool…this keeps things
consistent but sometimes it seems counter intuitive especially at first. You will probably notice on the machine
that the other axis moves as you expect but on that axis the head moves and the bed does not but the motion with respect to the print is the same so +x should increase X and +y should increase Y… If you close your eyes and do not actually look at the motion of the machine but rather visualize where you on the work piece you want to go then it kinda makes sense.

of course it could be that your steppers are running backward…or of course I could be mixed up and it is a bug in the application…since my printer is a delta there is basically not common sense in how it moves, everything requires warping your brain around the mechanics…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol well if my steppers were moving in the wrong direction I’d be on the wanhao forum I guess, prints would not succeed I guess.

From a printing view the bed moves front to back in the right directions but the goal of those buttons is not to print but moving the bed out of the way and this is when the buttons are in the wrong direction.

Left to right is fine, just front to back is wrong, not just in my opinion because I’ve seen other programs with the same opinion.

@Jasper_Tielen The buttons are meant to show movement of the print head. In the Wanhao i3 the head is stationary in the back/forth direction and instead the bed moves. We have one here and until now I didn’t think this was a problem. If you just of it as moving the head to a position in the bed, it’s pretty natural.

2 Likes

I tend to agree w/ Daniel on this one. I have a Maker Select, and I’m not sure I’ve ever had this thought. As stated, the directional arrows are all moving the print head. You can’t move the bed left or right, nor can you lift it up or down. It’s the print head that’s moving. On top of that, if you were to use the dial/knob and reposition on the Y axis, increasing (Y+) moves the print head back (and the bed forward). I understand where you’re coming from though.

Either way, good luck!