[INTRODUCE YOURSELF] - Welcome to AstroPrint!

I’m form Ontario Canada
Before I got into 3D printing I was a 3D modeller I got into 3D modelling because I thought the idea that I could actually hold the things I had made was amazing
The printer I use is a hictop pursa i3
I found out about astroprint.com because I was just searching thr internet for a way to print from school,my parents won’t let be print at night and I don’t have time to start something in the morning so my print time was extremely limited but now I can start a print that would take over 5 hours and have it done by the time I get home.

There are a couple of thing I would suggest for improvements

1. Although the slicer is alright, there is no way to scale, orientate, or really do anything else with the model, so I would suggest trying to implement something like that
  2. As far as I can tell, right now the only way to upload gcode is to be connected to the linked internet. So I would suggest figuring out a way to allow that to be done from any internet connection

Apart from a few issues here and there, it’s a great system, the customer support is outstanding with most replys only a couple hours after a question is asked (thank you Daniel). I would suggest astroprint to anyone with a 3D printer

2 Likes

Welcome @jordan!

It’s a pleasure to have you here! :innocent:

GCODE can only be uploaded directly to the local Astrobox, NOT your cloud account at Astroprint.com.

The reason for this is simplicity and the fact that the cloud slicer is responsible for generating the GCODE. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not ideal, but if you know how to port map your astrobox on your router you can then upload .gode to the astrobox and control the printer from a remote network…I do this…I just keep a link to the homenetowrk:astroboxport on my browser…

1 Like

Hi Terry Tor
I am currently reviewing this for my family use. I have tried Repetier and octoprint to date. Now I am checking out AstroPrint.

1.) Windsor CT USA
2.) I love to build RC aircraft, I want to print jigs and parts. My kids love to create models and widgets. It’s a family affair :slight_smile:
3.) We have two: Wanhao Duplicator I3 v2.1 and a Kossel Mini Delta 180
4.) I learned about it when I was searching for tools to monitor and manage our printers here at home.

Bonus: I would like to see a plug-in to print directly from a local slicer. (similar to octoprint or Repetier). That would provide the balance between what my kids need and what I want. I like to tweak settings, slice look at how the supports would be generated, re-slice, adjust heat, test the filaments etc. Then I can upload my final setting to the Astrobox for my kids to just pick and use.

For example
Just bought MakerGeeks Maker Series PLA color Red. I may run a temperature tower, Find need more retraction, once done I could upload the filament profile . My kids only have to select the color and print.

Second would be able to manage two printers with one Pi3

Third would be to leverage my touchscreen I have on my Pi. (http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/3.5inch_RPi_LCD_(B))

Hope this helps.

1 Like

@Terry_Tor: Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Yup, helps a ton. :smile:

Thanks for the suggestions!

The ability to print from local slicer is there…If you use Slic3r as the local slicer…works just like octoprint.

goto the astrobox local page and then settings–>Software–>advanced

you will see the API key you can put in Slic3r to direct print to astrobox.

I find this handy when I need the more advanced features of Slic3r that are not yet supported in the cloud.

Awesome. I have version 1.2.9 however there is no print to function. can you point me to a post with some information. ?

in Slic3r:

Go to Printer Settings

In the General Section there is a part called OctoPrint upload
Put in the IP address of your astrobox
Then put in the API Key you got from the astrobox following my instructions above.

Then click Test

Should work…

Now once you have placed a model in Slic3r and sliced it you can now choose 'Send to printer" and the g-code will be sent to the astrobox then onto your printer…poof wireless printing from Slic3r to your printer.

Tip: if you have your router configured right you can put in your external IP and the port number in place of the local astrobox IP, now you can print from most any internet location.

Hi! I’m me.

1. I’m from Kansas. Around five blocks from Dorothy’s house.

2. If I get good enough at it, I can 3d print myself some friends.

3. I have a Robo3d R1+. Actually just recently got it working relatively smoothly…

4. …since I got it running smoothly, I decided it was time to look at more upgrade-type-things. The natural first one, really, was remote operation, since a print could go for hours and hours an hours… and I have a job. I came across the name when looking up octoprint, asked around on Robo3d’s forums and Reddit. I bought a Pi and the rest is almost 12 hours history.

BONUS!) Add a more direct way to share pictures to social media services, maybe. Add functionality for precision browning of toast, too.

edit: Oh, look, there’s buttons on the screen with the pictures… silly me. The point about the browning of the toast still stands.

1 Like

Indeed! No plans on implementing the browning of toast (yet) :laughing:

Welcome! Glad to have you here! :slight_smile:

Hey there,
I’m Justin Schmidt, a maker/educator in Somerville, Massachusetts. I run a makerspace at the Watertown Middle School. You can check us out on instagram or at our site.

We have 2 LulzBot Minis and a TAZ 6 in the space. I’m kicking around the idea of getting a kit Prusa-style machine to mess around with for myself.

I just got AstroPrint up and running for all three machines. I’m hoping this will be the thing that enables kids and teachers to run these machines on their own. I’m excited to see what we can do with it!

1 Like

Welcome @Justin_Schmidt, simplicity and ease of use is what we’re going for. Let us know if something is not right.

Welcome @Justin_Schmidt! :grin:

FYI: The Prusa printers are indeed excellent! (As is Lulzbot)

Hello
I’m Mark Griesi from Redmond, WA. I just started getting into 3D printing with my son for fun. I tinker with pi projects and the like and thought it would be cool to add custom 3D stuff to those. I have a Prusa i3 MK2 on order which should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks. My son will also be getting one from a class he is taking this summer - don’t know which printer yet. I happened across AstroPrint while I was doing research on OctoPrint. I really like the AstroPrint interface and file management features. Now I just need my printer so I can try them out.

Welcome @Mark_Griesi! :slight_smile:

Great choice of printer(s)!

Don’t hesitate to let us know how things are going after you pair up AstroPrint with your printer(s).

Hello everybody.
Supernielsen here.

Long time user of sd card printing and usb… :wink:
Been having printer for Quite some time and about 5 different ones… :smiley:

I have tried octoprint for a while and decided to try astroprint.
I have some problems will create a topic

But im glad to be here were up and running in 5 minutes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @supernielsen! Glad to have you here :slight_smile:

Yes, please – open up a different topic and we’d be glad to help you get going!

Hello, I’m Jason and from Cincinnati, OH USA. I got into 3D printing because I like tinkering, hate throwing things I know could or wish to fix. Mostly odds and ends and things around the home. I’ve got a Prusa i3 MK2. I found out about AstroPrint looking for wireless print solutions. I was going to get a wifi sdcard which led me to Octo, which led me to Astro. After taking a look at both, especially the UI, I went with Astro.

2 Likes

Welcome @jtpowell! :slight_smile:

Glad to have you here!

Would love to hear your feedback (pros and cons) as you use AstroPrint :slight_smile:

Hi there,
Im from Adelaide South Australia and have been 3d printing since early 2014. I have built around 6 printers in that time and currently have two coreXYs and a Delta. I mainly use the printers for Prop building and RC.
I found Astroprint after i was looking for a way to slice independently from my laptop. I have used Repetier server and octoprint, but i like the UI of Astro better, and the IoT way of remote viewing.

What one thing would you do to improve AstroPrint?
Its been covered already, but more tools in the slicer to rotate and orientate your print and the preview to show generated support.

Thanks.
Rob.

3 Likes