New Raspberry Pi Zero W

It might be that we need to update the Pi OS to support it. In the next release of the flashable image, we’ll do that. Try again then

Thanks Daniel. I was hoping as Wolfgang got it working on a Zero that it may work on a Zero W. I have a few of them now so hoping to get it working. I’ll keep using my Pi3’s for now.

Neil,

Where are you getting the Pi-Zero W from? I just heard about them the other day!

I want to get one and give it a try for another project…for now my astrobox will stay on my Pi2.

Thanks

Hi Darren. There are a few places in the UK selling them including

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-zero-board/rpi-zero-board/raspberry-pi-zero-wireless

Hey Daniel

If you guys want to borrow a Zero W to get things working (maybe more quickly) then drop me a message and I’ll happily post one on loan to you :slight_smile:

Neil

1 Like

Seems there have been issues with current builds of Raspian. Will try the new one later.

Thanks @Neil, I’m pretty sure that when we update the kernel on our image next time, the software will compatible.

We’ll wait a couple of weeks though before doing that

I have Astroprint working on the Zero W with a fixed RJ45 ethernet connection. I loaded 0.10(4) on a Pi3 then did an update and upgrade via SSH. Boots correctly on the Zero W with hard wired ethernet.

I have edited the wpa_supplicant.conf file (via SSH) but does not seem to want to talk to the network. If I try adding the wifi connection via Astroprint Settings it scans the network and allows me to choose the wifi network and asks for password but then gives an error saying “There was an error saving setting”.

Can I manually edit a file to add the wifi network details?

1 Like

We use the NerworkManager utility via DBus interface. If you’re able to configure the wifi connection via command line using nmcli, the astrobox UI should recognize it

Sorted. Working with v0.10(7). Thanks Daniel :slight_smile:

Now to get the Pi camera configured.

2 Likes

ALL working, including camera. So, Astroprint v0.10(7) works just fine on the Zero W :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Neil: Including Live Video?

No Hotspot right?

Live video yes, in Firefox browser only.

No hotspot, but never use that.

1 Like

Great. Thanks for experimenting and reporting @Neil :slight_smile:

Can you detail out the steps you needed so noobs like me and make it work as well?

1 Like

Hi. This is the procedure I followed.

1. Image a microSD card with the latest downloadable version (v0.10(4) ).
  2. Put the card in a Pi3, and run the sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade and sudo apt-get distro-upgrade commands via SSH to ensure latest kernel etc.
  3. Manually configure the wifi using the instructions from @Daniel at this link
  4. To get the pi camera working with Astroprint enable the camera first in raspi-config and then usual setup in Astroprint.

I assume all the above could also be done directly on the zeroW if you have a microUSB to ethernet setup.

@Neil, what is the " sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade and sudo apt-get distro-upgrade commands via SSH to ensure latest kernel etc" and how do I get to that?

Thanks!

Linux programming via the command line interface. SSH into your Pi and use those commands to update the package files to the latest version

@Neil if you wouldnt mind could you walk me through doing that? I just got my Pi Zero W today, and I’m new to the software

I suggest you google it as it will be much quicker