Raft fused to build

The first items I printed via Astroprint have been great. Best I’ve been getting and, while I’m new to 3D printing (about a month in), I’ve been having good success all along but things got immediately better after starting to use Astroprint.

I printed my first job via Astroprint that required a raft. Everything looked great as it was printing but, when I removed it from the bed, I realized that it looks like the raft is fused to the build. Best I could do was snap off the edges of the raft that extended past the build.

I’m printing on a Flashforge Creator Pro using ABS. I was in “best” mode which had the extruder temp up to 230 and the hbp at 115. I use Buildtak on my hbp so no glue, kapton, or anything else… just straight to the Buildtak (which is awesome stuff… just remember to heat the hbp to about 90C to remove your build!).

I don’t think there’s any salvaging this job… but is there a way I can avoid having that happen in the future?

Raft is not something that the AstroPrint system adds by default. Did you use the advanced settings dialog?

There are two settings you might want to change to avoid what happened. Raft interface thickness and raft interface line width.

Maybe others in the forum have some more insight on Cura raft settings. The FF profile used Cura to slice.

I looked at the advanced settings but I didn’t change them…

And my noobiness might be showing. For this particular item, when I went to build it, it printed a couple of layers first. First vertical (well… front to back on the bp) then at about 60 degrees across that. If that’s not a raft, I’m just using the wrong word. But the lines were pretty tight… less than the width of a line between each. When I added a raft manually via ReplicatorG, it was much looser, cross-hatched at 90 degrees so it could just be me needing to catch up with the learning curve.

When I go to build this item in ReplicatorG, it does not add a raft or anything else to the bp. The first layer it prints is the first layer of the build so it is likely something AstroPrint is doing but I’m not sure what.

Do the temps I listed seem high to you? I know it’s difficult to nail that down since there’s a lot of finesse involved in setting temps, extruder heights, etc. but, I mean to ask my question in the ol’ “in general” way.