[SOLVED] Can't connect to astroprint.com

Hi all, I’ve been trying out AstroPrint and have been pretty happy with it. I bought a new Rpi3 and Logitech cam to set up another printer. I understand that a separate wi-fi dongle is required if I want to use the “hotspot” functionality to connect for the first time. However, I’m comfortable enough just connecting via ethernet and finding the pi’s address.

I did this and was able to get through the initial AstroPrint setup on the pi, including getting it on my wifi network (but not signing in to astroprint.com). I looked at my router’s status page, and saw that the pi had both a wired and wireless IP on my network, so that seemed to be ok. I just allowed the pi to get DHCP addresses; I didn’t do anything directly on the pi, just the AstroPrint setup via the wired IP once I had determined the address.

I was able to connect locally and run a print off last night, which was great, but does anyone have any idea why I can’t connect that box to astroprint.com? I tried resetting it several times, full power cycle, made sure my password was correct, etc, but nothing worked.

Thanks-
Pete

I have the same issue Pete, we could both be unlucky but I think it might be a server side thing? locally is fine but I cannot connect my account to the box.

-Sam

Yeah, I had set up an old Rpi1 earlier in the week, only using a wired connection, and everything went swimmingly. I guess I could try rebuilding that one to see if it’s a 1 vs 3 thing or a then vs now thing.

Same here, brand new install. I can login locally to the box but it will not connect to astroprint. weird.

We’re investigating a server issue that might be causing this for a number of you. I’ll post updates here

Don’t know if it is related but I can no longer connect to my Astrobox remotely even ssh and mapped ports, it seems down. Can’t say for sure since I am, of course, no where need my home LAN or Astrobox.

Other devices on the same WAN seem to be working ok.

We have identified the problem to be the SSL certificate that was installed on the server the past weekend. Although it’s working fine on the website it seems to be causing problems for the some boxes.

We’re working on it as we speak!

Ok. The problem is found!

Solution:

The solution is: sudo date --set='2016-08-11'

Explanation:

We recently upgraded our SSL certificate for astroprint.com since it was going to expire. The new certificate was issued on Aug 6th, 2016. If your system has a date set to be lower than that date the SSL certificate validation will fail with “Certificate not yet valid” and you won’t be able to make any calls to astroprint.com.

The problem for those of you with failed connections to astroprint.com is that your system dates are set to be lower then Aug 6th, 2016. You can check that with the date command.

Simply set your date to today’s date: sudo date --set='2016-08-11' and your connections will work again.

The internal clock of rpi and pcduinos is reset everytime the device is booted. We set it to the time the release was made or if there’s internet connection we try to get the time from an NTP server. It looks as if some of you had connectivity and still the date was not updated, I need to look into that next.

In the meantime, I have reverted the SSL certificate to the old one ( it won’t expire until Sept 6th ) while we find a more robust fix so everyone should now be working as before.

You should also update to 0.9(3) just released which includes a fix that would prevent this when we finally change the SSL certificate again (no later than Sept 5th)

2 Likes

Thanks so much for tracking this down and letting us all know about it! Looking forward to getting things up and running again when I get home tonight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is insanely unhelpful.

“the solution is sudo date --set=‘2016-08-11’”

WTF does that mean. I bought this because it was plug and play. Your only instruction is sudo a date? Where the hell do I type that. Through the local astrobox interface? Do I need to connect direct to the box? How about a real set of instructions to fix your broken product?

You no longer have to do that. As indicated in the post that was a temporary solution for advanced users. Have you tried again?

I have exactly the same problem. I tried the "sudo date --set … ", but still could not connect to astroprint.com. I upgraded to 0.9(3) and still have the same problem. I even tried by turning off the routers firewall But cannot connect my astrobox to astroprint.com. I can see that maybe the problem is from the astriprint.com servers since I pinging astroprint.com from the pi returns 100% package loss. Is there an update on this issue?

Never mind, the problem was that i had a static ip (because I need to have static ip for port forwarding). adding manual network manager option to astrobox config file solved the problem

I found the solution here:

1 Like

The SSL certificate needed to be changed now as today was the last day the old one was valid. Unfortunately those that haven’t yet updated to 0.9(3) and are unable to change the date on the Pi using the command line instructions will need to re-flash their Pi’s to have this problem corrected.

The best option to fix this is still to update date using:

# sudo service astrobox stop 
# sudo date --set='2016-09-06'
# sudo service astrobox start

then upgrade to 0.9(3) which contains a permanent fix. In the coming days, we will update our downloadable image to 0.9(3).

1 Like

Where is 0.9(3) available for download? The download page shows 0.9(2) still Thanks!

We’ll be updating it sometime this/next week. It’s not ready to download yet.

0.9(3) is now updated in the downloads page.

1 Like