Wanhao Duplicator i3 issues

Hi all,

I am trying to get a raspberry pi 3 running with my Cocoon Create 3D Printer (Wanhao Duplicator i3 variant). I am having no luck connecting my printer, I am having similar issues to the people in this old thread: [SOLVED] Support for Wanhao Duplicator i3

Apparently these issues shouldn’t be occuring in newer versions of Astroprint, however I am still having the issue. I have tried everything suggested in the thread, but I have had no luck. Has anybody had any issues with their wanhao di3’s? and more specifically, their cocoon create printers?

The best thing for these issues is to activate “serial logs” in the advanced settings menu, try to connect again and then send logs to us so we can analyze the problem

Reading the old forum thread and this newer one, I have a couple suggestions…

I do not have a Wanhao unit but I use Repetier firmware…

Be sure you have no other programs running that might be connecting to the printer…(i.e. repetier host or similar)

I personally find on the later versions of Repetier firmware (if that is what you have and it seems to vary on the Wanhao machines) that there is a com problem with Astroprint. I have documented it a few times, but I have seen no official fix from Repetier or AstroPrint. Basically it involves a change to the way Repetier handles line numbers in the G-Code. In later versions it once it gets a line number it expects every subsequent line of code to have a line number…If it does not it requests retries which always fail. If you look at the serial logs and see the “‘missing line number’ or ‘retry’ errors” there is a good chance this is the issue.

My temp fix is to tweak the Repetier code as documented at the end of this thread:

@Darren_DeVecchio We have a Wanhao here and use it with no problems. I would need to check which version of the firmware it runs but we have never seen that error here

I have seen some non Repetier based WanHao machines…could you have one of those?

I think it started in Repetier Firmware version .92…I used Astroprint with no issue prior to a Repetier Firmware update about that time.

Their older ones were Sailfish but ours is definitely Repetier. I would have to upgrade to see the problem